Company History

The abundance of raw material (marl) in the Skopje area in the 50’s was the main reason for building a cement factory in the vicinity of the quarry, so  the plant began its construction in 1952 in the demarcated for industrial development area outside the city.


Construction finished and USJE’s 1st rotary kiln started with test operation in April 1955. The 2nd rotary kiln was put into operation in the 60’s..


After the disastrous earthquake in Skopje, the need for cement grew significantly leading to the installation of a 3rd and 4th rotary kiln operating by dry method, using pre-heater from German company Polysius in 1967 and 1973 respectively.  Parallel with increasing clinker production new cement mills were also installed.


The limestone quarry of Govrlevo was opened in 1977.


Side by side with increasing production capacity there were permanent improvements of cement quality. In the 70’s USJE produced cement type PC 450, and our hydraulic binder, Usjemal, was released in 1978.


USJE was growing fast, investing and equipping itself with state-of-the-art technology, providing lower costs per product, safe work conditions and environment protection.


In 1980-1982 Kilns no. 3 & 4 were upgraded and the operation of the old kilns no.1 & no.2 (using wet method of production) was terminated in 1983 and 1984 respectively.

In 1994, new Plant for production of EPS insulation material was build and started with operation, selling it on the market under registered name USJEPOR.



In 1998 transformation of ownership capital brought new owners in USJE, the Titan Group and Holcim.

Cementarnica USJE AD’s continuous growth resulted in the start of a Ready Mix production plant in 2000.



The protection of the environment is of particular importance to Cementarnica USJE AD and significant investments in material and human resources were made, including:
 

- Installation of bag filters on the cement mills 4, 5 and 6 in 1999 (first cement plant in Southeast Europe);
- Removal of the electro-static and installation of bag filter on line 3 and the reconstruction of the clinker cooling system of Kiln no. 3 in 2000;
- Installation of vertical petrol coke mill and reconstruction of Kiln no. 4 clinker cooling system in 2001;
- Removal of the electro-static and installation of bag filter in line 4 in 2002.
- Implementing ISO 9001:2000 Quality standards in 2004 & ISO 14001:2004 for Environmental Protection in 2006.

Important dates
  • 1955 - Start of operations
  • 1960’s - The products of Cementarnica Usje are becoming the base for construction of modern Skopje after the earthquake in 1963
  • 1972 - The fourth rotary kiln was put in operation.
  • 1977 - Limestone quarry Govrlevo was opened
  • 1978 - The new product Usjemal was launched on the market
  • 1983/1984 - Operation of kilns no.1 & no.2 was terminated respectively.
  • 1986 - Cement Mill no.6 started to operate
  • 1998 - Titan Group becomes the now owner of Cementarnica Usje
  • 2000/2001 - Bag-filter was installed on line no.3 and clinker cooler at Kiln no.3 was reconstructed.
  • 2002/2003 - Bag-filter was installed at kiln no.4.
  • 2003/2004 - equipment for fly ash was installed.